I had occasion recently to write a Personal Statement of Faith. While I have strong convictions and generally know what I believe and why I believe it, it was a challenging exercise. I’m glad I did it. Here it is.
I came to Christ with saving faith as a newlywed over 25 years ago. Through my childhood I learned several important truths about God: that God was real, God was good, and God was important. I knew about Jesus, that He was the Son of God and that He had died and had risen again. However, I had never learned about His complete work of grace that completely saved sinners just like me. When someone finally shared the Gospel with me plainly, clearly, and personally, I surrendered to the Holy Spirit’s invitation and was born again and became a new creature.
As a new Christian struggling with how God could use me and I could walk in His will, I found Romans 8:28 “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.” What a treasure and an encouragement that verse was to this new believer trying to reconcile my past with His plans. Years later, as an older Christian trying to reconcile my future with His plans, Luke 1:45 became very meaningful to me. “And blessed is she that believed: for there shall be a performance of those things which were told her from the Lord.” Indeed, I have been blessed when I have believed, and He has always kept His word.
Since He saved me, God has graciously ordered my steps through His sovereignty. He has placed godly people in my life to teach me and to guide me. He has made provision for me and opened doors of opportunity for me. He has taught me of His faithfulness through trying and nearly impossible circumstances. He has never left me nor forsaken me. He has challenged me to serve Him and provided the people and places that have needed that service. He has called me to believe Him. He has equipped me for every spiritual battle that I have come upon. He has forgiven me and shown mercy to me too many times for me to count. He has given me good gifts of family and children and has entrusted their hearts to me for a time. He has changed me.
I’ve learned so much about God and His love for His Church that it is difficult to put everything I believe into words on one piece of paper. But I’m grateful to have an occasion to try.
Here is my simple personal statement of faith.
- God knew me before I was born. He made me and had plans for me long before I even acknowledged Him, and while I was yet a sinner, Christ died for me.
- The Holy Spirit of God drew me, comforts me, strengthens me, and fills me.
- The atoning sacrifice of God’s Son Jesus Christ saves me eternally.
- The resurrection of Jesus Christ gives me FREEDOM from sin and death.
- The grace of God moves me to inexplicable gratitude.
- The mercy of God covers me.
- The Church of God gives me a place to serve, to be built up, and to belong.
- The Word of God is the only Truth in this world.
- The command of God is for His children to love Him and to love people, with the ultimate expression of that love being to share His Truth and His Gospel with the world.
- The promise of God is that He will return for His people who were bought with the blood of Jesus Christ. I will serve Him until He comes.
I’m a Believer!